Grand Rapids-based Orion Construction is seeking special land-use approval to construct a multi-family townhouse project, named Michigan Meadows, at 2233 Michigan St. NE.
The project will go before the Grand Rapids City Planning Commission for approval later this month.
Michigan Meadows LLC is the owner of the project. The company is owned by a group of employees from Orion Construction and the Grand Rapids-based Cusp Group, a real estate development firm.
The proposal includes 22 two-story, four-unit buildings, totaling 88 units, to be built on the 18-acre site. The development would incorporate 143 parking spaces for residents.
The land is currently occupied by Wealthy Park Baptist Church.
Orion held a neighborhood meeting at the existing church on Jan. 24 to introduce the plan, according to documents submitted to the planning commission. About 20 neighbors attended the meeting. Neighborhood concerns were primarily related to the following issues:
- Minimizing the project’s visibility from Michigan Street
- Providing suitable landscaping at the Michigan Street frontage to minimize the project’s appearance
- Providing landscape along the west edge to buffer existing homes
- Providing setbacks between existing homes to the west and the project
- Preservation of existing natural features, most notably, the wetland areas
- Discussion regarding storm water management
Originally, 106 units were proposed, but after public engagement, the number was reduced to 88.
The planning commission will review the modified plan during its regular meeting on March 22.